Quick Facts & Expectations from new 09 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
- LS9 V8 is the most powerful automotive production engine ever manufactured by General Motors.
- It is hand-built and tested GM's Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.
- LS9 is SAE Certified at 638 hp and 604 lb-ft of torque.
- It puts out nearly 103 horses per liter.
- GM expects the LS9 to be the most fuel efficient 600+hp engine in the world.
- ZR1 designation revived after 13 years.
- ZR1 gets a six-speed manual transmission with race-hardened gears and dual-disc clutch technology which is not offered in any other model.
- The aluminum and magnesium frame of the current generation Z06 forms the basis of the new ZR1 model.
- Corvette Z06 & ZR1 use the same Tremec 6060 gearbox with unique ratios.
- Expected top-speed of more than 200mph (322 km/h).
- ZR1 comes with a price tag of little less than $100,000.
- Sale will start in summer of 2008 as a 2009 model.
Video: 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Review by Cars.com.
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Comparison: ZR1 Vs Z06
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 V8 Photos
|POWERTRAIN/CHASSIS For 2009 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1|
|Drivetrain layout||Front engine, RWD|
|Engine type||Supercharged 90 V-8 alum block/heads|
|Valvetrain||OHV, 2 valves/cylinder|
|Displacement||376 cu in/6162 cc|
|Power (SAE NET)||620 hp (est)|
|Torque (SAE NET)||595 lb-ft (est)|
|Weight to power||5.4 lb/hp (est)|
|Final drive ratio||3.42:1|
|Suspension, front; rear|| |
Control arms, transverse leaf spring, anti-roll bar;
control arms, transverse leaf spring, anti-roll bar
|Brakes, front; rear|| |
15.5-in vented, drilled, disc; 15.0-in vented,
drilled disc, ABS
|Wheels, front; rear||10x19; 12x20 in, cast aluminum|
|Tires, front; rear||285/30ZR19, 335/25ZR20 Michelin Pilot Sport 2|
|DIMENSIONS For 2009 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1|
|Length x width x height||176.2 x 75.9 x 49.0 in|
|Curb weight||3350 lb (est)|
|Weight dist., f/r||52/48%|
|Headroom, f||38 in|
|Legroom, f||43 in|
|Shoulder room, f||55 in|
|Cargo volume||22 cu ft|
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 V8 Photo Gallery
Detailed Specs for 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1's LS9 6.2L SUPERCHARGED V-8 Engine.
Displacement (cu in / cc): 376 / 6162
Bore & stroke (in / mm): 4.06 x 3.62 / 103.25 x 92
Block material: cast aluminum.
Cylinder head material: A356-T6 rotocast aluminum.
Valvetrain: overhead valve, 2 valves per cylinder.
Fuel delivery: SFI (sequential fuel injection).
Compression ratio: 9.1:1
Horsepower / kW: 638 / 476 @ 6500 rpm
Torque (lb-ft / Nm): 604 / 819 @ 3800 rpm
Fuel shut-off (rpm): 6600
Recommended fuel: premium required.
Exhaust manifolds: stainless steel.
Main bearing caps: forged steel.
Crankshaft: forged steel.
Camshaft: hollow steel; 0.555-in (14.1 mm) lift.
Connecting rods: forged titanium.
Valves: intake: titanium, exhaust: hollow steel.
Valve lifters: hydraulic roller.
Supercharger: R2300, four-lobe "Roots" type (2.3L).
Additional features: piston oil-spray cooling; direct-mount ignition coils; 11-rib accessory drive.